This is it, my very last Storm King’s Thunder recap.
As with previous recap sessions, we had fun revisiting and reminiscing our full 16-month campaign map by map, as well as revealing some fun stats I had been tracking (our epilogue was actually at the end of our final session last week).
- Total Sessions: 65
- Calendar Length: March 2017 – August 2018
- Total Time: 175.5 hours
- Average Session Length: 2 hours, 40 minutes
- Number of Times We Fell Unconscious (0 hp): 12
- Most Unconscious: Tie – TIM (5), Korinn (5)
- Total Wild Magic Surge Rolls: 20 (~1 every 3 sessions)
- Total Amount of Inspiration Earned: 79 (~1 every 4 sessions per person, though no Inspiration was earned in the first 8 sessions).
- Number of Sessions with No Combat: 7
For a summarized, at-a-glance recap of our entire campaign, I’ve broken down all the major events, organized by level, below.
- We arrive in Nightstone to find it destroyed, abandoned, and taken over by goblins.
- We defeat all the goblins, meet Kella and learn about inbound Zhentarim.
- Find a Harper code book with leads to Bryn Shander.
- Ambush the first wave of Zhentarim, meet the remaining town guards.
- Defend against the second, much larger wave of Zhentarim, saved when Felgolos shows up to chase them off.
- Cross the goblin-infested forest to reach the Dripping Caves to rescue the townsfolk.
- Defeat the goblin leader, but make friends with Snigbat and spare the goblin babies.
- Escort the townsfolk back to Nightstone.
- Meet Zephyros outside Nightstone, who offers to take us to Bryn Shander.
- Fend off an attack of air cultists, then convince an dwarven army to stand down.
- Attacked by Iymrith (though we didn’t know it at the time). Zephyros goes out in a blaze of glory, dumping us a few miles outside Bryn Shander.
- Hunted by Yetis, then hunting them in turn.
- Arrive in Bryn Shander, meet a large number of friendly faces.
- Survive an assassination attempt by Zhentarim.
- Defend the town against a siege of Frost Giants who are looking for Artus Cimber and the Ring of Winter.
- Get a ton of new quests.
- Solve some local problems around the icy Ten Towns region.
- Continue to follow up with Harpers, travel to Hundelstone, then on to Mirabar.
- Survive a road ambush by Zhentarim agents.
- Arrive in Xantharl’s Keep. Scout out the Zhentarim outpost nearby.
- Stealthily assault the Zentarim Outpost, completely cleaning it out.
- Begin the lengthy journey to Everlund.
- In Triboar we witness the aftermath of a Fire Giant attack.
- Escort refugees to Yartar.
- Met a nobleman on the road who was afflicted with aboleth poison.
- In Yartar we followup with the nobleman, leading to a gambling boathouse called the Grand Dame.
- Uncover a plot with an aboleth kidnapping nobles and trying to supplant them.
- Defeat the aboleth in the sewers beneath Yartar.
- We arrive in Everlund, get teleport access.
- We battle some fire giants nearby and rescue Snigbat.
- Return stolen money to a local Hippogriff breeder in Hawk’s Nest. We get hippogriffs!
- Teleport to Neverwinter to attend the Roaringhorn Gala.
- Assault the Feral Hound tavern and capture the Weevil, who feeds us information.
- New main quest update: gather Giant relics from various sites.
- First is the Grandfather Tree, where we navigate a ghostly maze underground.
- Next is Beorunna’s Well, which is massive pit, home to a tribe of barbarians.
- Meet a group of dragonslayers who are hunting Felgolos. Turn on them and agree to help Felgolos.
- Take a detour east with Felgolos to the desert.
- Sneak our way to blue dragon hordes. Make them angry and fight them off, actually killing them.
- At Morgur’s Mound we meet friendly frost giant Harshnag.
- Survive automated defenses at Raven Rock.
- We hop on an airship sent by an ancient red dragon, Klauth.
- Meet with Klauth. All glory to Klauth!
- The airship drops us off at Great Worm Cavern.
- Solve a war between white and blue dragonborn.
- Make it to the Temple of the All-Father, find Harshnag captured at the entrance. A big battle with frost and stone giants ensues.
- Make it inside and gather more pieces, leading to more battles, traps, and puzzles.
- Finally get an audience with the oracle. Need to get to the Maelstrom. Need Conch from another giant boss to get there.
- We pick cloud giants, since the oracle tells us they’re currently torturing our friend Felgolos!
- Upon leaving Iymrith shows up. Harshnag sacrifices himself so we can escape via Klauth’s airship.
- Klauth tells us more about TIM. We journey to his old cabin, learn more truths and fight more stuff.
- The cabin happens to be near Goldenfields, so we follow up on a very old side quest from Bryn Shander, recruiting a giant slayer and helping defeat a full on siege of hill giants and ogres.
- We learned about an island base that the K society was using. We kill everyone and everything.
- Take our hippogriffs to Lyn Armaal, the flying cloud giant castle.
- Use combinations of stealth, disguise, and mind control (suggestion), to effectively rescue Felgolos without fighting a single giant!
- Convince the cloud giant leader to simply hand over the conch.
- Before teleporting to the Maelstrom, we go after the Weevil, who had recently escaped and was hiding out in Everlund.
- Sneak our way inside and minimize threats until a final battle with the Weevil. Finally kill his ass.
- We teleport to the Maelstrom.
- TIM randomly finds shortcut that lead to other areas of the dungeon, including a massive treasure room, and the backdoor to the throne room. Avoid the entire dungeon!
- We stealthily get a private audience with the princess, get next clue.
- Return to Yartar and the Grand Dame. Clean it out rather violently, learn location of Hekaton, and the Sculptor’s Tower.
- Assault the Sculptor’s Tower. Kill everything.
- Team up with Felgolos to cross the ocean.
- Find the Morkoth and attack a ship full of pirates and cultists head-on.
- Rescue King Hekaton and teleport out of there before the kraken himself can tear the ship (and us) apart.
- Learn the true nature of our villain, and realize she was there in the Maelstrom.
- Return to the Maelstrom to find Iymrith holding the sceptor, storm giants dead, and Serissa incapacitated.
- She escapes. We rest up, locate her lair, get giant growth potions, and go after her.
- We teleport to Iymirth’s Lair and charge with our new giant bodies, dodging boulders and fighting gargoyles.
- Make it underground, defeat some Yuan-Ti and tescue Harshnag. He’s alive!
- Fight the ancient blue dragon, and defeat her once and for all. GG!
Bryseis: Bryseis goes to Waterdeep to find her expansion of the family gambling business already underway, and partnered with Miri. Bryseis runs the Waterdeep branch, and subtly continues her own Zhentarim operations.
T.I.M.: Wielding both Dawn Guard and Dawn Strike brings back many of TIM’s memories as a holy warrior. He also learns of other lost warforged wandering around, aimless after Iyrmith’s defeat, and gives them a purpose with Lathander.